Brenda Yap

Converted by Falcon Hive

Nearly there...

17 October 2009 2:12 am 0 comments

I think the Interior Design program at RMIT is incredibly hard and challenging. I don't know if it's because I'm a lightweight and, maybe I'm not meant for this field, I don't know. But what I can say is I've been working my ass off in this course, harder than I think I've had to work for a lot of things.

And I don't think it's just me; I see my friends and classmates struggling, unsure of what we're doing week after week, and even now, 2 weeks before submission, we are still plodding along taking it bit by bit.

But I've learnt a lot in my 3 years here. I've gotten really good with AutoCAD (I believe, at least from knowing nothing about it before!), and with my technical skills, which is something that I lacked incredibly in college. I can flip open a Francis DK Ching book and know exactly where everything is, and understand the details, which, 4 years ago, was still puzzling. I know standard measurements by heart. I've learnt about sustainable systems, which is something I will be taking home with me for sure.

And I've also had enough of people thinking that interior design is interior decorating, because it simply is not. It's much more than that, it's so difficult to explain, and too muhc to get into... but it is very closely related to architecture, and it's not fluffing pillows and picking paint colours.

In 3 weeks, I will no longer be an interior design student (if everything goes as planned lol. No, I shouldn't say that, choi!), I will be an interior designer. (Actually, I think I was already a qualified interior designer with my diploma, but never mind. I will be a better interior designer now.)

So if you're a student looking to pursue a bachelor's degree in interior design and you're looking for a challenge, sure, go and enrol at RMIT. It'll be hard, there'll be times you will curse and pull your hair out, there will be many sleepless nights, many frustrating moments with the printers and plotters, lots of money spent on materials and printing; but it will be worth it when you come out the other end.

Okay enough rambling. I have a section and roof plan to finish drawing.

(0) Comments

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home