Brenda Yap

Converted by Falcon Hive

Too much creative writing for today

24 November 2005 11:30 pm 0 comments

Today has been incredibly hectic. First off, I had a ID critique session at 9.30am to 1.30pm; but Bernice emailed me a few days ago to let me know that she was organizing a Creative Writing Workshop by this Sri Lankan author, Romesh Gunesekera, at 10am til noon, and she was only selecting a few students from her Creative Writing class to attend. Right... Bloody clashing with my ID class, but I thought it would be interesting to find out what this workshop was about.

So I volunteered to go first for the critique, and left my original class a little early to attend the workshop. It was a mixture of Bernice's Sunway and Cenfad students. God. We were given like a couple of minutes per exercise to write, and everything I came up with was so simple and so not thought of properly, whilst everyone else came up with such deep, bombastic stuff. I felt so small during the entire workshop. Oh well. All participants received a free book, pen, and notebook from the British Council. :)

Anyway, after the workshop, I had to go back to my ID class, and participate in the other critiques. After that, I hardly had time to grab a quite bite, as it was off to Bernice's Creative Writing class. Class was aight, just individual tutorials. I pitched her my idea[s] for my character monologue, and she seemed really excited about it; so I've got the green light to continue. I had a long talk with Farid who expressed that he felt intimidated during the earlier workshop too. It was nice to know that I wasn't alone. We also chatted quite a bit about our experiences, coming from divorced families, and it was refreshing to talk about it, with someone who I could relate to.

Gosh. 3 classes, in 7+ hours. No wonder I'm really tired now. Am going to crash. Night.

(0) Comments

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home