Brenda Yap

Converted by Falcon Hive

Fasting

04 October 2005 10:14 pm 6 comments

Fasting for Ramadan starts tomorrow. I'll probably join in with Wazir for a few days or so.

I wanted to blog, but now I'm totally blank. Guess it can wait then. I've been pretty busy with college work lately, especially since it's my final year in Cenfad and all.

I'm so tired. Night!

postnote:: For some of you who don't know what this fasting thing is all about [like Knoizki ;)], I found some information online.

Muslims celebrate the festival of Aidilfitri - popularly known as Hari Raya Puasa, or simply Hari Raya (Day of Celebration) in Malaysia – to mark the culmination of Ramadhan, the holy month of fasting.

It is a joyous occasion for Muslims, as it signifies a personal triumph, a victory of self-restraint and abstinence, symbolising purification and renewal.

Fasting during the month of Ramadhan is compulsory or wajib, whereby Muslims are required to abstain from satisfying their most basic needs and urges, daily, between sunrise and sunset. It is one of the five tenets of Islam; as is the paying of zakat (alms tax for the poor), which must be tithed by the end of Ramadhan.

In Malaysia, the period of fasting ends when the new moon is sighted on the evening of the last day of Ramadhan. The actual sighting is conducted by state appointed religious officials at various vantage points (usually at hilltops) throughout the country.

If the crescent is sighted, the following day is then declared the first day of Aidilfitri, which is also the beginning of the 10th month of the Muslim calendar Syawal.


For more info, visit this site. =)

(6) Comments

  1. Anonymous On Wed Oct 05, 12:43:00 am

    I don't know what it is but be safe & eat wisely.

     
    narrowband On Wed Oct 05, 01:58:00 am

    Happy fasting, to you and Wazir ;)

     
    Brenda Y On Thu Oct 06, 12:45:00 am

    thanks you guys. =)

     
    Anonymous On Thu Oct 06, 01:40:00 am

    Thanks for the infos Bren, now I know. It must be a very sacred month for you guys back there - but what kind of food exactly do you avoid?

    Peace!

     
    Brenda Y On Thu Oct 06, 02:01:00 am

    Well it's sacred to the Muslims.. I don't have to fast but sometimes I just join in. =P
    Food to avoid? Err well basically they can't eat or drink from about 6am to 7pm or so.. So they get up at about 5am to eat, then it's fasting til they break fast at 7pm or so. I fasted a few days last year but I skipped waking up early in the morning to eat so it was really tough. =P

     
    Anonymous On Thu Nov 24, 06:18:00 pm

    Hello Blogger, I would like to invite you to take a look at my beading craft ebook offer. This beading craft ebook is great for both beginner’s and pro’s. This is a great blog that you have here, keep it up.

     

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home